- Place the rice, mung beans and chopped onion in a large pan and heat gently, stirring continuously until the onions 'sweat'
- Add the stock, garlic and herbs.
- Bring to the boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the rice is cooked
- Monitor the liquid level frequently and top up with boiling water as needed
- Turn off the heat before stirring the chopped mushrooms and black pepper in to the rice
- Re cover the pan and allow the mushrooms to cook in the residual heat for around 10 minutes
- Serve with a fresh salad and garlic ciabatta
Cooking Temperature: Low hob
Cooking Time: 40 Minutes
Keeps For: 3 days
Tips and Comments
- An easy recipe but very satisfying, I find this works just as well as a winter warmer as a spring dish.
- Try adding mangetout peas and dairy-free soft 'cheese' substitutes for variations on a theme.
- Sprinkle liberally with fresh herbs in spring and summer or toasted pumpkin seeds in winter for a garnishy treat!