Summer Celebration Cake
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt and set aside
- Slightly soften the soya marge and blend with the sugar, cider vinegar, soya milk, lemon juice and vanilla essence.
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients
- Grease and line two medium sandwich tins (or use one larger one and be prepared to cut it in half)
- Split the mixture between the two tins and bake at 175 degrees for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out of the middle clean
- Remove from the tins and allow to fully cool
- Whip the soya cream until it is as stiff as you can get it and place it in the 'fridge
- Beat the icing sugar and soya marge together and stir in the vanilla essence and food colouring; refrigerate
- Carefully spread the strawberry jam evenly over the bottom layer
- Using a piping bag or spatula, spread 2/3 of the soya cream over the strawberry layer and top with the other half of the cake
- Whisk the butter-cream icing and carefully spread over the cake, evenly and ensuring the sides are covered
- Make 16 'blobs' of whipped soya cream round the top of the cake and top each with half a strawberry
Cooking Temperature: 180 degrees
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Keeps For: 3- 5 days... in theory.
Tips and Comments
- See Not-Dairy for details of soya milk, marge and whipping cream (the SoyaToo brand cream can be whipped).
- If your butter-cream separates it's just at the wrong temperature; try chilling it (or warming it up!) and whisking it again.
- Making your own Quick Strawberry Jam for this is really satisfying and gives you extra bragging points!